Filled with creamy mayonnaise and cheddar cheese mixture layered in between thick sliced of summer season season tomatoes makes this The Biggest Tomato Pie. There’s no greater strategy to close out summer season season than making this delicious southern recipe.
Tomato season is underway and making a dinner that’s modern with tomatoes is on the excessive of the guidelines. Do that sausage tomato gnocchi, creamy tomato basil rooster or creamy tomato Italian parmesan rooster for additional tomato recipes.
The Biggest Tomato Pie
Rising up in Alabama, Tomato Pie was a summer season season staple and one we beloved usually. It’s Aimee proper right here from the positioning Aimee Mars and southern recipes are my specialty. The basic parts on this simple and delicious recipe are primarily the equivalent for all, nevertheless there are a selection of different methods to prepare it. One that’s for certain though, every end of summer season season should embody this delicious recipe.
Substances in Tomato Pie
This savory pie is comprised of just a few major parts, most of which you probably have obtainable. The key is choosing great company tomatoes, whether or not or not they arrive out of your particular person yard, farmers market, or your native grocery retailer. Use your fingertips to softly squeeze the tomatoes to verify their firmness.
- 9-inch pie shell: you need to use a store-bought pie shell must you’re making an attempt to make this recipe shortly or you too can make a delicious one amongst your particular person like this buttermilk pie crust.
- 6 Tomatoes, big and actually ripe: the firmer the tomatoes the upper. If the tomatoes are too mild they’ll have means an extreme quantity of moisture, which might make your pie soggy.
- Salt: that’s solely a major salt for coating the tomatoes sooner than together with them to the recipe, it helps to empty any additional water.
- Modern Basil: basil and tomato have been meant to go collectively and inserting this modern ingredient in tomato pie aren’t any completely totally different. I extraordinarily advocate using modern basil if yow will uncover it.
- Freshly Shredded Cheddar Cheese: you need to use already shredded cheddar cheese for this recipe, nevertheless shredded your particular person makes it barely softer and so it melts fully collectively into the pie.
- Mayonnaise: this key ingredient barely holds this pie collectively and supplies some delicious style.
- Seasoning: salt, pepper, and garlic powder and the first spices for this recipe, nonetheless, you probably can merely add in some additional similar to paprika and chili powder must you like a spicier mannequin.
Recommendations on learn how to Make Tomato Pie
- Put collectively the Tomatoes: slice the tomatoes about 1/4-inch in thickness and lay them flat in a single layer on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Cowl the tomatoes in salt after which a excessive layer of paper towels and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the Base: In an enormous bowl combine the shredded cheese, mayonnaise, modern basil, and seasoning until completely blended.
- Set up: place your required pie shell proper right into a pie dish and begin to rearrange the pie by layering a single layer of tomatoes on the underside. Then unfold half of the cheese mixture on excessive of the tomatoes. Place one different layer of tomatoes, overlapping some, on excessive, and repeat with the remaining cheese mixture. Finish layering the pie with some tomatoes on excessive. Firmly press the tomatoes in so the mixture comes collectively. Sprinkle some additional basil on excessive if desired.
- Bake: Place the pie in a pre-heated oven at 350º F and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the cheese turns into bubbly.
Which Tomatoes are Biggest for Tomato Pie?
The standard beefsteak or plum tomatoes work best for tomato pie on account of they’re not as juicy as tomatoes similar to heirloom. Be sure to resolve on tomatoes which could be company to the contact and by no means mild. Once you really want to make use of heirloom tomatoes then you definitely definately fully can, merely moreover be sure they’re great company. When you choose tomatoes which could be too mild it’ll possible be exhausting to remove the water content material materials and your pie will find yourself soggy.
Can I exploit a Retailer-Bought Pie Crust?
Positive! Once you’re transient on time or just don’t must downside with making a crust then a store-bought crust will work merely as correctly. There’s one trick I on a regular basis wish to make use of though, and that’s to double up the crust. Purchase a dough that comes with two shells and layer one correct on excessive of the other in your pie dish. This makes for a further thick crust.
What to Serve with Tomato Pie:
This pie is surprisingly filling, and since it’s a summer season season recipe it pairs fully with in all probability probably the most standard side dishes. A couple of of my favorites are listed beneath.
The Biggest Tomato Pie
Prep Time 20 minutes
Put together dinner Time 45 minutes
Full Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Servings 10 Servings
Filled with creamy mayonnaise and cheddar cheese mixture layered in between thick sliced of summer season season tomatoes makes this The Biggest Tomato Pie. There is no such thing as a greater strategy to close out summer season season than making this delicious southern recipe.
- 1 9-inch Pie Shell
- 6 big Tomatoes very ripe
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 8 ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- half of cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Modern Basil chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Flooring Black Pepper
Preheat the oven to 350ºF and if making put collectively the pie dough.
Put collectively the Tomatoes:
Slice the tomatoes to about 1/4-inch in thickness and put together them in a single layer on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Coat the tomatoes in salt and cover as soon as extra with one different layer of paper towels. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Make the Filling:
In a medium bowl combine the shredded cheese, mayonnaise, modern basil, and spices collectively until mixed correctly. Put apart.
Set up the Pie:
Place the 9-inch pie shell into your pie dish and put together a single layer of sliced tomatoes on the underside. Cowl the tomatoes with half of the cheese mixture and repeat this step.
Layer the ultimate of the tomato slices on excessive, overlapping is okay, and firmly press them into the pie. This helps the parts come collectively.
Place the pie into the oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the cheese begins to bubble and the crust turns a golden brown.
The Biggest Tomato Pie
Amount Per Serving (1 slice)
Vitality 279 Vitality from Fat 189
% Day-to-day Price*
Saturated Fat 8g40%
Ldl ldl cholesterol 29mg10%
Vitamin A 1176IU24%
Vitamin C 15mg18%
* % Day-to-day Values are based mostly totally on a 2000 calorie consuming routine.